I sewed in the ditch around each flower, then again 1/4" away to keep it separated from the background fill. The meander filler pushed the purple to the back and lets the dahlia pop. I also used white thread to add an outline of each petal 1/4 inch from the edge.
There are some very different fabrics included. some are very shear, and there is even an eyelet fabric:
I added feathers in each of the sashings, and flower petals in the cornerstones
More feathers in the white border, and meander again in the purple border
I found the perfect backing - the colors are a great match and the design is from the same time period