Tuesday, January 28, 2014
My friend Pat pieced this from all different fabrics. No two of the coffins are the same. The pattern is repeated sometimes, but always in a different color. I quilted some connected hooks in the dark green border, and did the math to make them meet in the center. In the body of the quilt I did line dancing, with a hook coming out from the corner of each coffin. There is also line dancing in the setting squares, but it doesn't show well as the thread is an exact match. It creates a great secondary pattern, and looks awesome on the back. The back is two different fabrics. The quilt is 67 x 82.
Close up of quilting
Hooks in borders
corner quilting pattern
quilting pattern show on blue backing
Saturday, January 18, 2014
Margaret bought this top and had me quilt it so she can enter it in our show in March. I used a maroon thread in the borders and sashing, putting a paisley design in the borders to go along with the fabric, and diagonal loops in the sashings. I used a grey thread in the geese doing loops with line dancing. The backing is a batik that has most of the same colors in it. The blue color is really a dark maroon that matches the front. It's 56 x 72.
|paisley design in border|
Monday, January 13, 2014
I did this as a quilt-a-long with Judy Laquidara at Patchwork Times. It will find a home through the Quilt of Valor program after it hangs in our quilt show in March. The entire top was made from stash - I only had to buy fabric for the backing - a light blue with navy, white, and red stars. I quilted a medium meander in the dark outside border, feathers in the red and blue borders, and a squiggly line around the 1" squares in the middle border. I spent a long time doing Baptist Fans in the body of the quilt. A first time for me - I love the way they look, but boy do they take a long time! I also made a matching presentation case. This quilt finished at 66 x 82.
|close up showing Baptist Fans|
|Backing - light blue with navy and red stars|
Saturday, January 11, 2014
Thanks to Deb Moffit at Sew Fun Fabrics in Chesterton for graciously teaching this class to just two of us. Thanks also for the great lesson on mitered corners. She helped me to cross two things off my quilting bucket list - a Bargello quilt, and learning how to miter borders. I quilted diagonal lines in each little square which enhanced the curved effect of the piecing. The border quilting was simply lines straight out from the piecing seams. This is 55 x 82, This quilt was awarded first place in our 2014 quilt show.
|quilting lines look curved|