I'd love to hear your comments on my projects. Feel free to post a note here (click on the word "comment" at the end of the post) , or you can contact me directly. See info on the above tab.

Thanks for visiting . . .

Monday, February 17, 2014


This is a block-of-the-month project.  I presented the block to our guild.  My friend Pat won 12 blocks, and promptly gifted them right back to me.  I made 13 more at our retreat last fall, and finally got it all put together.  The pieced border is made from bonus triangles created by double-sewing the flying geese blocks.  The skinny red border and corners adds a little pop.  I only had to make 16 more half-square triangles to have enough to fit around the quilt.  The backing is black and white squiggly lines, and that same fabric turned out perfect as the binding also.  I did a cable in the large border, half circles in the red border, and line dancing in the pieced border.  I quilted a free-motion mock Baptist Fan pattern in the body.  I used a white/grey/black variegated thread that really adds to the "abstraction" of the quilt.  Sometimes you see it, sometimes you don't - depending on what thread color shows up on which fabric.  The completed quilt is 72" square.

mock Baptist Fan quilting
borders and binding

Friday, February 14, 2014

Flower Patch

This was a quilt-along with Judi Madsen from Green Fairy Quilts.  The quilt uses a jelly roll and a layer cake from the same line, so all of the fabrics coordinate.  I chose Simple Marks, by Malka Dubrawsky, for Moda Fabrics.  I quilted the background pretty tight, so the flowers would pop.  I quilted a big loop and 2 hooks in the 4 petals of each flower, and a swirl in the middle.  The two focus flowers have leaves and daisy's in their frames.  The back is from the same line, and has a little bit of all of the other fabrics.  It's 60 x 77. 

focus flower

focus flower
quilting pattern the same on all flowers
daisy and leaves on focus flower border

leaves on focus flower border
close up of backing

Sunday, February 9, 2014


This was a ROW challenge in my guild last summer.  I made the top row, then 5 other members added rows.  It was all kept a surprise - you didn't know who was working on your quilt or what they were doing.  I provided the fabric and pre-cut sashings, then passed it along for others to work on.  So it was a complete surprise when it was returned to me.  I quilted line dancing and squiggly lines since each row was different.  The back is almost as much fun as the front as it's made from leftovers.  This quilt was made almost entirely from stash - the only fabric I bought was the cheddar.  Its 55 x 83.


line dancing

squiggle lines
quilting on back
                                                                   green area of backing


Saturday, February 1, 2014

Dorothy's ROW Challenge

This is Dorothy's "Robin on a Wire" or ROW guild challenge from last summer.  She made one row, then 5 others added a row.  Dorothy added the applique's at the end.  Sunbonnet Sue has daisies in her dress fabric, and is holding a daisy, so I quilted daisies and some leaves all over the quilt, and outlined the three appliques.  I used a light green thread that blended well everywhere.  The backing is the same as the blue border fabric, with strips of leftovers from the front making a strip down the middle of the back.  The quilt is 50 x 64.

                                                                       Daisies and leaves

                                                                Sunbonnet  Sue applique