Sunday, January 31, 2016
I watched Claire work on this at our guild's retreat last year. She did a great job. Her top was flat and square and very easy to quilt. I love batik fabrics, and the colors here are wonderful. It's 71 x 84. I like how she used lighter backgrounds in the center, and the darker backgrounds to create a border.
She wanted circles in the quilting to continue the pattern theme, so I did a variety of sizes. Some are adjacent and some are inside others. I used a variegated thread to pick up a lot of the fabric colors.
She used a brown to separate the borders from the body, and also a brown with circles for the back:
Saturday, January 30, 2016
Sylvia made this beautiful Bargello quilt. I love the colors and the fabrics she chose. It's 72 x 96.
She wanted a simple meander in the center with navy thread. I quilted straight lines and "C's" in the checkered border:
The next two borders were treated as one and I quilted feathers in them:
The outer border has a meander as in the center:
Friday, January 29, 2016
Laura embroidered this around 1960, then put it away and never got back to it. So she had me assemble it, make it king sized, quilt and bind. The original quilt is the cream center with the 15" blue border. I added a cream border to two size to make it square, then a final blue border all the way around. The finished size is 110 x 110. I have applied the binding to the front so she can turn it to the back and hand stitch to finish.
The quilting lines were printed on the fabric. I outlined every flower and leaf. The blue border has straight lines to fill in the open spaces, and an outline of the cross-stitched border around the outer edge:
There is a row of hearts separating each flower, and 4 hearts in the corner where they come together, and tulips to fill in blank areas between the leaves:
I copied the flowers and leaves to make a template to quilt in the light border:
This quilting shows up really well on the tone-on-tone cream backing:
flower and swirls in the corner of the quilt
The leaves fill in between the flower pattern
I added a feathered vine all around in the blue border:
This also shows up well on the backing: