I'd love to hear your comments on my projects. Feel free to post a note here (click on the word "comment" at the end of the post) , or you can contact me directly. See info on the above tab.

Thanks for visiting . . .

Friday, January 29, 2016

Laura's embroidery

Laura embroidered this around 1960, then put it away and never got back to it.  So she had me assemble it, make it king sized, quilt and bind.  The original quilt is the cream center with the 15" blue border.  I added a cream border to two size to make it square, then a final blue border all the way around.  The finished size is 110 x 110.  I have applied the binding to the front so she can turn it to the back and hand stitch to finish.

The quilting lines were printed on the fabric.  I outlined every flower and leaf.  The blue border has straight lines to fill in the open spaces, and an outline of the cross-stitched border around the outer edge:

There is a row of hearts separating each flower, and 4 hearts in the corner where they come together, and tulips to fill in blank areas between the leaves:

I copied the flowers and leaves to make a template to quilt in the light border:

This quilting shows up really well on the tone-on-tone cream backing:

flower and swirls in the corner of the quilt

The leaves fill in between the flower pattern

 I added a feathered vine all around in the blue border:

This also shows up well on the backing:

No comments: