I'd love to hear your comments on my projects. Feel free to post a note here (click on the word "comment" at the end of the post) , or you can contact me directly. See info on the above tab.


Thanks for visiting . . .



Monday, March 28, 2016

A Friendly Swap

The best thing about a quilt show in the near future is that I get to quilt some of my own tops.  This one was created from a 4-patch swap that I did with friends in 2015.  We all bought the same neutral fabric, and then made 3" 4-patches out of any fabric we chose - no regards to theme or style.  A great way to use up scraps.  This pattern is "Four Patch X" from Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville, and finishes at 80 x 92




I had all of the fabrics in my stash - things I had bought and never used.  The solid red I have had for years - waiting for just the right project.  It's a nice rich red, and it gets the focus here.




The 4-patches in the block create an X, with red and cheddar setting triangles


I did all straight line quilting.  The 4-patches were simple straight lines creating a cross-hatch effect.  I kept the block quilting simple as I wanted the focus on the sashings.  I used a cheddar thread throughout as I wanted the quilting lines to show.





The red corners come together to create a churn dash block





The cheddar side triangles create a square with the grey sashing running through it.




The borders game me some room for more straight line quilting:



The only fabric I had to buy was a couple of print pieces for the backing.  The rest of the backing fabrics are leftovers from the front:






No comments: