I'd love to hear your comments on my projects. Feel free to post a note here (click on the word "comment" at the end of the post) , or you can contact me directly. See info on the above tab.


Thanks for visiting . . .



Monday, March 17, 2014

Camp Mack Magic

I started this quilt at our guild retreat at Camp Mack in September, 2012.  I finished the piecing during that winter, but just now got it quilted.  I knew how I wanted to quilt it, but had to do some research first on how to do it.  The inspiration came from Judi Madsen at Green Fairy Quilts.  I'm a long ways from what she does, but it's a start.    Thanks also for help from Susan at Quilt Fabrication. 

There are two layers of batting, Hobbs wool on top of Hobbs 80/20.  I used a clear poly thread to SID the entire quilt to hold all the layers together, and to give definition to each individual piece.  That took 6 hours.  Then I went back and did the detail work - another 17 hours of work.  A total of 23 hours of quilting. Whew - I was sure glad when all that was done.  The biggest thing I learned was that this type of details needs to me on plain or much lighter colored fabrics.  All that work should also be done on a smaller quilt so it doesn't take quite so long!!  A lot of the detail is lost in the darker fabrics.  But it was all a learning experience, and I'll do better next time.  The backing has two leftover blocks, and is a batik that has all of the colors from the front side.  Finished size is 66 x 76.

 
 
 
Texture shows better with side view.  There are the same circles in the cranberry fabric.
 
 
the two different blocks - detail close up. 

 
"button" close up - This element is one I had seen elsewhere and was the start of this whole idea.
 
 
borders - diamonds in brown border and squares in  cranberry border.  The yellow is a flange - only attached on one side.
 

2 extra blocks on back.  The detail shows up better on the back than the front!!
 
 
 
 

No comments: