I'd love to hear your comments on my projects. Feel free to post a note here (click on the word "comment" at the end of the post) , or you can contact me directly. See info on the above tab.


Thanks for visiting . . .



Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Marilyn's Carpenter's Star

Marilyn pieced this top to give as a wedding gift, but now the wedding has been called off  :(  So Marilyn get to keep it for herself :)  It's a queen size - 90 x 103.



 
She liked the feathers I did on this quilt for her last year, so she wanted more.  There are feathers in all of the star points. I used a gold thread throughout, as all of the fabrics have a gold metallic color in them.
 
 
I treated the unit as two triangles and put 2 vines from the center to the two outside points.  I did a lot of back-tracking along the vine to complete the 4 sections of each triangle, and to travel from one color to the next.  The feathers show up much better on some fabrics than others.

 
The background areas got a swirl:
 
 
I did a small hook in the blue border, and I the larger borders I did a meander and put some detail in some of the flowers.  I didn't take pictures of those areas as the quilting really doesn't show.  The backing is a light color, so all of the quilting shows up really great there:
 
 
Here's a close up that shows even better:

 
 
 


No comments: