I'd love to hear your comments on my projects. Feel free to post a note here (click on the word "comment" at the end of the post) , or you can contact me directly. See info on the above tab.


Thanks for visiting . . .



Monday, May 27, 2019

Vintage Stars

My friend Ruthie bought this at garage/estate sale in the 70's  She's has held on to it all this time.  She finally got it to me to quilt. It's 72 x 91.



It was not in very good shape.  There were some stains, but the worst part was the very tiny seam allowances.  Some of the borders were wavy, but I didn't dare try to take it apart and replace with those same small seam allowances.



I quilted connecting curves with white threads in the stars and their white background. Hopefully that will give it some strength.





And feathers in the white border:






The setting squares were not really square, so a traditional feather wreath would work.  So I used a bigger feather with a wavy end that I could fill in with.  And cross hatching in the center.  I used a gold thread so it would show a little better. I started out to do this in the white thread, but you couldn't see it, and I could barely see where I had already quilted.  So the gold works well.




The outer border had to be starched and steamed to get it to lay flat, then I could do the piano keys:

.



She found a great little calico print for the back:







No comments: